This week’s Great British Sewing Bee was all out understanding patterns and cutting them to achieve the perfect fit….
“Half the battle on producing a well-made dress is in getting the fit right!” says Julie Bonnar, sewing expert at Simplicity.
Accept that you’ll need to make adjustments to your sewing pattern to make it fit you best. Very few of us will match exactly a pattern company’s standard measurements for each of the measurements of a size. You’ve heard the phrase one size fits all, well this really isn’t so in dressmaking!
Picking a pattern range that offers fitting options is a good place to start. Simplicity’s Amazing Fit range is tailored to suit different figure types, and is ideal for sewers were the set of measurements of the pattern pack don’t quite apply.
There dress patterns include individual pattern pieces for a variety of busts sizes from a B, C and D cup sizes for Miss and C, D, DD cup sizes for Plus sizes. This attention to detail will ensure that when you make your frock it’s going to be the best fit possible for you.
5 FEATURES FOR A GOOD-FITTING DRESS
1. Princess seams that follow the contours of your body and allow for fit adjustments.
2. Dropped waistlines that fall between natural waist and hip for a comfortable wear, soft gathering around tummy and dip hemlines.
3. Side insets and colour blocking to enhance waistline and fit plus concealed pockets to improve slim silhouette.
4. Open necklines and peek-a-boo back for a feminine look.
5. Shoulder strap placement that’s bra-friendly.
Look out for skirt, jacket and trouser patterns in the Simplicity Amazing Fit range too.